Ep 04: Succeeding as an ISO with Mark Dunn of Field Guide Enterprises LLC
It’s time to dig into another episode of PayPod: The Payments Industry Podcast! This week, we’re talking about independent sales organizations (or ISOs)… specifically what it takes to succeed as an ISO today.
Helping Scott explore all this is a brilliant guest who has been working in the payments industry for over 30 years. Mark Dunn is the founder of Field Guide Enterprises LLC, a company that offers consulting services for ISOs. He’s also the Co-Founder of the Midwest Acquirers Association Inc. which hosts an annual Conference for ISOs and acquirers. Mark has helped many ISOs improve their sales. He’s also helped executives start ISOs, and knows the process inside and out.
Payments Industry Insights In This Episode:
- How an ISO fits into the payments industry landscape.
- How ISOs can remain succeed with competition from industry disrupters like Stripe and Square.
- What Mark thinks is the biggest mistake ISOs make… and how it can be avoided.
- An overview of the process for becoming an ISO today.
- Mark’s insight into the payments industry as a whole, and what the future holds for ISOs.
- With a whole bunch more!
Featured on the Show:
- Connect with Mark Dunn: LinkedIn
- Connect with Field Guide Enterprises, LLC: LinkedIn
- Connect with the Show: Facebook | Twitter
- Subscribe to the Show: iTunes | Google Play
Payments Industry Spotlight: Field Guide Enterprises LLC
Field Guide Enterprises was founded by our guest, Mark Dunn, back in 2004. It’s an executive consulting, training and marketing communications company which helps organizations and individuals in the payments industry reach their goals. Field Guide Enterprises specializes in working with growing companies interested in finding cost effective, high-impact sales growth and exit strategies.
Specifically, they focus on three key areas in payments:
- Executive consulting for small to medium-sized ISO’s
- Bankcard sales training and seminars
- Marketing for companies selling in the bankcard industry
Field Guide Enterprises offers this guidance through executive consulting, seminars, and training. Their numerous offerings are designed to help companies of a variety of sizes and needs get the most value from whatever guidance they might require!
To quote one of Field Guide Enterprises’ many satisfied clients:
“The 2 day seminar on the bankcard business was outstanding. With your extensive experience and knowledge of the industry, you cleared up for us what is a very complex industry. Just getting started in this business seems easy now…thanks to yoau. There was never a dull moment!” – Mark Artho, CPA January 3, 2008
If interested in learning more, you can contact Field Guide Enterprises LLC here:
Field Guide Enterprises, LLC
7790 W. Shore Drive
Hartland, WI 53029
Small Business Organization of the Week: Small Business Counsil of Rochester
If you’re an entrepreneur, small business owner, or just working in a small business, you’ll inevitably run into challenges as you work to grow. You also could benefit greatly from connecting with others in your niche, or just having some extra guidance. With that in mind, we want to honor organizations that are bringing business owners, future business owners, and even employees from many different areas together.
That’s why every episode we recognize and award a small business organization or group of the week. We also look to PayPod listeners to give us nominations. If you have an organization in mind, send us a message on social media (or email) and let us know!
As for this week, we’re happy to award Small Business Council of Rochester.
Our award winner this week is the Small Business Council of Rochester.
Located in Rochester New York, they deliver premier services, event and educational programs to energize business success in the Greater Rochester area.
Their Mission is to “foster a caring community that celebrates small business by delivering premier programs and events that promote business growth in the greater Rochester region.”
They accomplish this with a 5 pronged approach… or you might even call it a 5 C approach.
- Caring – practicing year-round community outreach and benevolence
- Connecting – holding high-impact networking events
- Coaching – Providing access to member organizations who offer services/counsel to small businesses
- Celebrating – recognizing local small business and successful business leaders
- Community – creating an intimate culture for networking and connecting small businesses
You can find out more about them by connecting online with them. See the programs they put together, sign up to join, reach out directly for more information, and of course browse their events calendar!
If you’re looking for an organization that is fully committed to supporting small businesses, specifically locally. Look no further than SBC of Rochester. Huge congrats to them on their selection!